Duration: 8 months. >>
Beginning: 15.2.2018 the latest
Summary of the project
Acreditation of Zavod KNOF social enterprise
English description of KNOF
Looking for motivated, independent, responsible, flexible, self-initiating and active volunteers with experience, knowledge in at least one of the following fields:
sustainable development, social economy, promotion of conscious consuming and green living, arts and crafts, event management, project development, community engagement, entrepreneurship, web design, multimedia.
We are situated in the small town of Sevnica, surrounded by beautiful nature, so the project is more suitable for nature lovers who don't get easily bored and have a motivation to co-create the community of social economy of Posavje region and Slovenia. If you enjoy researching, writing articles, expressing your talents to help other people in the community, this is a +.
If you are creative and crafty, know multimedia, this is another +.
If you are open and prepared to try different things and work for a greater good, this is a ++. 🙂
CONTEXT OF THE PROJECT:
The project will be implemented in the municipality of Sevnica, Posavje region, where the average unemployment rate is 11 %, the youth sector is very small and youth work is in stagnation.
Sevnica is in surface one of the largest municipalities in Slovenia, but has low population, in the municipality, there are 15.000 inhabitants, in town Sevnica, the population is 5.000. It is an industrial town and has a strong tendency to promote local production. From shoes, through salami, beer, and wine, to lingerie, the town has its own high-quality brands. Also, Sevnica is quite a closed environment, which nurtures traditional values because most of the municipality is rural.
Our organization is the only provider of international youth projects and EVS/ESC in the municipality, so we consider to be a very important link in promoting European citizenship at the local level. Young foreigners bring freshness and a sense of European integration, which can give a new perspective to local youth on their own opportunities. By hosting EVS/ESC we want to promote the mobilities and other opportunities young people have today with the help of European and local support so that we can change local youth’s perspective and prove that even rural areas could be very creative and have potential to grow.
Hosting organization KNOF is a social company and a social incubator and is involved in the local community since 2007. Our organization has a vivid network with regional public and private organizations, NGO's, youth centers, companies.
In Sevnica, despite the small size of the town, there are a lot of leisure activities available. Free outdoor fitness by river Sava, outdoor swimming pool, summer festival on the castle, hiking and cycling events. Posavje region has beautiful nature and good train connections to capital city Ljubljana or Zagreb (Croatia).
KNOF’s hub is located in another small town, Krško, which is 20 minutes from Sevnica. The organization has an Old School second-hand and design boutique (Stara Šola), an office and a FabLab workroom (Stikalnik FabLab) in the town’s renovated market-place. For youth events, workshops, lectures, and movie clubs, or just for hanging out in Sevnica, KNOF has a cooperative youth space, KNOF KNKT (Knof Connect). It is provided by the municipality for especially the youth in order to support youth initiative and development of ideas. There is also the bar and cultural center called Platz next to it, which organizes various cultural and entertainment events with the Student Club Sevnica, and is often partnering with our community members on several projects.
Volunteers are expected to live in an apartment in Sevnica just opposite the KNOF Space and Platz so they will have the possibility to interact the most possible with local youth and become a determinative member of local youth community.
The problems of the environment:
- Young people do not have specific experience, work experiences in many cases are concentrated to factory work, because of Sevnica’s industrial nature. After working a few years in the sector, young people get unmotivated. The challenge is to support them in finding their own strengths and help them with possibilities to get out of their comfort zone, to learn and to improve.
- Emigration of young and educated in the study centers, leaving behind low educated workforce or those who have not completed their education.
- High rates of suicide and apathy Source: Suicide in the region of Posavje: "For 17% higher than the average".
- Distance from the highway.
- Manufacturing industry dominates, looking for a low-educated workforce, low paid.
- fragmentation, isolation of youth, cultural and other associations
ACTIVITIES FOR THE VOLUNTEER:
- Association Social Economy Slovenia: the volunteer will help in analyzing the field of social economy in Slovenia and abroad, will also have independent assignments to analyze, talk, visit social companies and actively participating in social economy-related events in Slovenia and abroad.
- Social business incubator: help in shaping English translated website of organization KNOF, organizing community events like business related workshops, lectures - individually and in cooperation. Working on an individual social business idea – that the volunteer can test or realize in the hosting organization or at home in his country.
- Stara Šola (Krško or Sevnica): helping in the boutique (organizing, helping with decorations), helping with promotion of the stores: working on campaigns to social media or to other surfaces, figure out activities that can help in promoting conscious consuming.
- KNOF KNKT: planning and realizing small cultural events (intercultural night, movie night, game night etc.) for up to 10 people.
- MSOS (Youth Council): helping the council with their activities and events for local youngsters (like concerts), creating cooperations.
- Disseminating activities: writing idea journal and self-evaluation, creating video/podcast/photo journal.
- Activities for promoting the ESC project and program – motivating young people, youth organizations in Sevnica to go abroad and be a ESC volunteer.
POSSIBLE COURSES, WORKSHOPS ORGANISED FOR THE VOLUNTEER (NOT JET CONFIRMED):
- Sewing course in Krško’ workshop
- Pottery workshop at Bernhard pottery in Krško
- Photoshop course in graphic designing - Robi Guček
- Entrepreneur course, weekly basis, the methodology of Ustvarjalnik – daring greatly, product development, business model canvas, prototyping, pitching…
- Sustainable living and building - partner organization Zavod Veles
- Stikalnik Fabrication Lab: makers space, technical workshops on CNC programming, 3d printing, laser engraving
- Practicing meditation and spirituality; massage yoga classes - Tea Zakšek, Miha Imperl
- Slovene language course - Sevnica Youth Center / Lucija Rap
- Natural cosmetics and cleaning products workshops - Evija Zavrl, Eco Green Apple
The project is financed from Erasmus + programme EU.